Here’s a list of known Miranda Lambert cuts & cowrites for her 5th solo studio album, due June 3rd and called Platinum! I’ll be sure & update this as more information becomes available and it becomes clearer what will and won’t make the final cut.
4/7/14 update: Tracklist posted last Friday if officially confirmed by press release!
4/4/14 update: Confirmation pending, but I’m pretty sure this is the full tracklisting!
4/3/14 update: More album talk and another confirmed track via Rolling Stone magazine!
3/13/14 update: More album details courtesy Spin magazine!
3/10/14 update: Release date confirmed, more confirmed tracks via Associated Press interview!
3/7/14 update: More confirmed tracks and information via Rolling Stone magazine!
2/20/14 update: Album title (and title track) confirmed!
2/5/14 update: "Automatic" has been released, added a link to stream.
1/31/14 update: Release date for lead single “Automatic” confirmed.
1/27/14 update: Title and cowriters of Miranda’s upcoming lead single confirmed, with a later release date than originally posted!
12/30/13 update: Confirmed new single release date, plus a few more songs added to the list!
Music Row confirms that Miranda’s new single (title TBA) will go for adds 2/17/14! But the America’s Morning Show interview says the single will be out in mid-March.
Gary Overton talks about the album in Billboard Country Update, saying: “She’s known as the rock chick and male-basher chick and everything else. But this [“Automatic”] sets a tone for the album. She’s got rock stuff on there—don’t get me wrong—but there’s things she’s talking about and saying that you haven’t heard her say and contemplate.”
The Associated Press interview confirms Platinum is a 16 track album with “several guests on songs that underscore her range and willingness to experiment.” Miranda wrote or cowrote 8 of the album’s 16 tracks.
Spin magazine says to Miranda, ”This is your hardest-rocking solo album since Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.”
Full Platinum tracklisting (confirmed by press release, which includes Miranda’s comments on the guests on the album)
- "Girls" (Nicolle Galyon / Natalie Hemby / Jimmy Robbins)
- "Platinum" (Nicolle Galyon / Natalie Hemby / Miranda Lambert) - CONFIRMED title track per Billboard Midweek Country Update (“Change was, in fact, in the air as Lambert went about assembling her next album, Platinum.”). Rolling Stone describes the track as “hook-packed, Taylor Swiftian pop” and a “blond-ambition anthem.”
- "Little Red Wagon” (could this be the Audra Mae & The Almighty Sound song cowritten by Joseph Ginsberg and Audra Mae? Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOXvoeX2qGQ)
- "Smokin’ & Drinkin’" (featuring Little Big Town) (Natalie Hemby / Luke Laird / Shane McAnally)
- "Priscilla" (Nicolle Galyon / Natalie Hemby / Jimmy Robbins) - CONFIRMED to be on the album per Rolling Stone, which describes the song as “heartfelt” and as “a rollicking tune about having to share your husband with the world.” Priscilla is reference to Priscilla Presley. Miranda talks about the song in Spin magazine, saying, “Priscilla” is the song that addresses being in the tabloids. I think it does it in a fun way, though. It happens, and it’s happening a lot, lot more to Blake and I than ever before, and I thought it was a really smart take on how it happens, and I definitely don’t want people to think I’m comparing us to Priscilla and Elvis in any stretch of the imagination.”
"Automatic" (Nicolle Galyon / Natalie Hemby / Miranda Lambert) - CONFIRMED new lead single due in mid-March via America’s Morning Show. Sony Nashville PR confirms 2/5/14 as the single release date: link
Official stream for “Automatic” here
- "Bathroom Sink" (Miranda Lambert) - CONFIRMED by Spin magazine, which quotes the line, “It’s amazing the amount of rejection I see in my reflection.” The Associated Press interview refers to as “Bathroom Mirror,” in which “she contemplates her self-image.”
- "Old Shit" (Brent Cobb / Neil Mason) - Check out Brent Cobb’s version of the song here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVIAj3yNUs8
"All That’s Left For You To Do Is Leave" (featuring The Time Jumpers) (Dixie Hall / Tom T. Hall) - originally performed by Tom T. Hall & Dixie Hall. CONFIRMED by Rolling Stone, which describes the song as “her rootsiest track ever” and “a bluegrass song she first heard on SiriusXM while driving home from her fifth Beyoncé concert. ‘My husband had the idea to do the song Western- swing-style,’ she says. I hate it when he’s right.’” Spin magazine confirms the Time Jumpers guest on the song.
Check out a live cover of the song by Big Country Bluegrass here:
- "Gravity" (Miranda Lambert/Scotty Wray) - CONFIRMED via Rolling Stone, which mentions the album’s songs include ”self-effacing, funny ones, like ‘Gravity’s a Bitch.’ (‘It’s like, ‘Whoa! I gotta do some lunges!” she says.)”
- "Babies Making Babies” (Nicolle Galyon / Natalie Hemby / Jimmy Robbins)
- "Something Bad" (featuring Carrie Underwood) (Chris DeStefano / Brett James / Priscilla Renea) - CONFIRMED to be on the album by the Associated Press, which quotes Miranda describing the duet as follows: “We’re really rocking in country music and we’re coming together as a force. To me, like, if you’re sitting on the front row, you might want to scoot back. It’s a force. It just feels exciting to me. I’m ready to rock.” Spin magazine describes the song as a “hard-riffing Carrie Underwood duet” and says it “sounds like Aerosmith.” Miranda says in the press release: “I’m a huge fan of Carrie Underwood. She’s such a badass singer. This rocker came across as I was listening to songs, and I decided to send it to her. To me, this song meshes our styles, you know? It gives her time to be ‘Before He Cheats’ Carrie, and it gives me time to take off running and jump to hit some of those high notes.”
- "Holding On To You" (Jessi Alexander / Miranda Lambert / Ashley Monroe)
- "Two Rings Shy" (Brandy Clark / Miranda Lambert / Heather Little)
- "Hard Staying Sober" (Natalie Hemby / Luke Laird /Miranda Lambert)
- "Another Sunday In The South" (Jessi Alexander / Miranda Lambert / Ashley Monroe)
Additional tracks written for the album:
"All The Whiskey You Can Drink" (Miranda Lambert / Lori McKenna)
"Backfire" (Natalie Hemby / Luke Laird / Miranda Lambert)
"I’m Good At Leavin’" (Jessi Alexander / Miranda Lambert / Ashley Monroe)
"Trailblazer" (Natalie Hemby /Miranda Lambert)
EDIT: Just a fun tidbit. Jessi Alexander, Nicolle Galyon, & Jon Randall have cowritten a song called “Miranda’s Right.” No word yet though on whether Miranda cut it, though the song’s more than likely a play on the rights of somebody who’s been taken into police custody (the right to remain silent, etc.).